Sunday, June 30, 2013

Ecclesiastes 5:10-11

Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income.This too is meaningless. As goods increase, so do those who consume them.
And what benefit are they to the owners except to feast their eyes on them?- Ecc. 5:10-11

I love what the notes included with my study Bible says about these verses. It says, "Whatever financial situation you are in, don't depend on money to make you happy." Its all about contentment, and its not an easy lesson to learn. From experience I can tell you that living on little is challenging. Its often tempting to think, "if I just made a little more, it would be better," but what I should be thinking is "how can I make the best out of this?"

Although finances are one of the biggest areas many people struggle with contentment in, the struggles are not limited. Some people struggle with "keeping up with the Jones'", others struggle in their marriage, some struggle in their career.

Finding contentment does not necessarily mean you give up hope for more or better. It means that you are happy with what you have and can see the good in what IS there. I will borrow a phrase from a fellow blogger [The Orange Rhino],  make an "at least" statement. Sometimes it takes looking at our struggle and saying something like "I may not make a lot of money, but at least I get plenty of time with my children." Or maybe your situation is "I can not afford cable right now, at least I have plenty of books." These may seem simple, but it can be useful to see everything we have, rather than what we lack.

Prayer of the Day: Lord, Thank you for all the blessings in my life. Help me to have the right attitude about my situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment