Friday, July 11, 2014

Genesis 2:20-25

Genesis 2:20-25 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals. But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and then closed up the place with flesh.Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman,' for she was taken out of man."That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh. Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.

My husband and I are nearing our fifth anniversary. As time goes by, I realize that I regularly fail at being the one thing I desperately want to be, a godly wife. Many times I have looked over the verses in Proverbs 31 and longed to be like that woman. Yet, every attempt I've made has fizzled out. I am beginning to understand the reason why now. First, my attitude was never really in the right place. I wanted to be that woman for personal gain, not truly for God or my husband. Second, I was trying to do it in my own power. Neither will get me the point God wants me to be. I really hope I have my learned my lessons now and am going to have a true heart change. I also decided I needed to look deeper in The Word to find what I am looking for. Over the next few weeks (months, years, who knows?!), I plan on walking my way through the Bible and seeing what God says about being a wife.

What is my role?
How do I do it?
What does it look like?


Basically, I want all the "whys" and "hows". I want to fully understand this full time job I have. I want to be the best wife I can be for my husband. Not only because I love him, but because I love God and that is what He really wants from me. My marriage was (and is) an gift and I do not take it for granted.


Now, today's verses are from Genesis and the creation of woman. Right here we get an understanding of purpose for a woman in marriage. So, let me give you the Manda translation. Adam just finished doing a truck load of work, naming the animals and all. He is all alone and after going through every living thing, he still can't find anyone who "understands" him. He's lonely and tired. God takes notice and let's Adam take a nap. While he is napping He pulls out of Adam a part of his heart (chest, rib) and creates woman. 

Considering where God chose to take from Adam to make Eve, it is clear that from the start Adam had great respect and love for her. She was a very special gift from God, created from something so close to his heart. In truth, a wife is just another part of the man she marries. We are truly made to fulfill, complete, and become one with the man we marry. This is no easy task. Since there is no perfect person, marriage is two imperfect puzzle pieces attempting to make a clear picture. Truly I think the heaviest weight of this burden is on the woman, our whole roles is to make a complete picture. We have to CHOOSE to make our puzzle fit together. 

This is so much easier said than done. I'm sitting here thinking..."how in the world do I do this?" Here's what I am coming up with:

-What areas does my husband struggle in?
-Where does he feel weak?
-What traits are less dominant in him?

My conclusion: I need to be those things. My husband is a dreamer. It is a beautiful thing, but sometimes off the wall thing. It is my job to keep our life realistic and grounded without crushing his zeal. My husband can only handle one major role at a time. I have to accept this and cover what he is not. If his major role is bread winner than mine will be home. If his is home, I will work to support. If my husbands roll is minister to others than I will minister to him. What ever it is that he needs, I will try my best to be there for him. He may have high expectations for our children so I will support my children as they build to that point. I know it is not popular or fun to consider your spouses flaws, but I am suggesting you rethink them. They are no longer flaws but aspects for which you were made to complete him. I really hope I can live up to this! I struggle more trying to change him than changing myself to better fit with him.

The very last sentence in this verse also spoke to me. Adam and Eve we both naked. They were not hiding anything. They were not ashamed of who they are on their own. There is freedom and joy in understanding that you were made quite the way God intended. That means physically, mentally, emotionally, you were made to fit each other. You should have little doubt of your great worth (whether male or female). If you are in this marriage, there is no more beautiful or perfect fit for your spouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment