Saturday, July 12, 2014

Proverbs 12:1-4

Proverbs 12:1-4 
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
    but whoever hates correction is stupid.

Good people obtain favor from the Lord,
    but he condemns those who devise wicked schemes.
No one can be established through wickedness,
    but the righteous cannot be uprooted.
A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown,
    but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.

Sometimes I think I would like to be Andrew's trophy wife. For self centered and ridiculous reasons of course. Sure, I would love to be thin, gorgeous, and have access to all kinds of wealth. However, this is not what my heart truly desires.  In truth, I want to be loved, respected, and yes, even cared for. In some ways, God says I can have it both ways. In Proverbs 12:4 it says that a wife with noble character is her husband's "crown". Basically, there are some conditions to being a "trophy wife". I think I would rather be this kind of trophy wife anyway!

It seems logical that verses before verse 4 are there to explain a little bit about what that kind of wife should look and act like. So, this is what we've got: 

Noble character comes with self discipline and knowledge. There is usually something attractive about a witty, educated, and hard working woman. (The very same could be said for godly men!) If you even ask someone what they are looking for in another person, they often will name these traits. They are desirable and attractive. This is even more important after you are married. Self disciple can be more challenging. It can be easier to place blame, procrastinate, or give up on things.  Those things don't encourage much when it comes to marriage. I would "stupid" to know my problems and issues and choose to ignore them rather than strive for excellence. (For this reason I love self-help and motivational books!)

Noble character is also found in good people. This one really seems obvious, yet it isn't always as simple as it sounds. Righteousness builds strong people with good support. This means when things get hard, they aren't so easily swayed. Good and righteous people think of others first. They aren't self centered. They seek to bless others. In marriage that means choosing to bless my husband. That means doing things that make HIM feel special, important, and desired. By doing so, it makes me all that more desirable to him. I become a "crown" by shining him up to look and feel like royalty!

It's not like God is asking me to let myself become a door mat. He is asking me to change my mindset. I doubt a king makes a point of stepping on their crown. Rather, they see it as something very precious, as a symbol of their very important role.

No comments:

Post a Comment